Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Healthy Dinner #1 of 09: Tofu & Avocado Sandwich

I often toy with the idea of going vegan -- not because I have a problem with meat, but because I'm such a huge fan of veggies, tofu, and anything meat-less. But I know I couldn't keep it up-- God knows every once in awhile I love a Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe from Wendy's...But I applaud those who do.

In any case, my first OFFICIAL healthy day of 2009 (there was no way healthy eating was going to happen yesterday, with a hangover that only would be satiated with Subway) occured today, and it was surprisingly vegan-friendly. A bowl of oatmeal started off the day, followed by some carrot ginger soup for lunch. For dinner, I made this yummy Tofu & Avocado Sandwich, a recipe I modified from eatingwell.com.

It tasted fresh, clean, and didn't upset my stomach like all that holiday fare had been doing. Plus, it has avocado, a miracle food that containes potassium, calcium, vitamin K and C, folic acid, and dietary fibers, among other benefits. If this is vegan, sign me up! Well, for now at least...

Tofu & Avocado Sandwich

Serves 1

Extra-firm tofu
1 small tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/4 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotle chiles)
1/4 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp reduced-fat mayo (the only non-vegan friendly item--easily can be ignored though)
2 slices whole wheat bread
green leaf lettuce
S&P

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Slice the tofu horizontally so it's about 1/2 of an inch thick. Place in between two sheets of paper towl. Place a plate over it and weigh it down to soak up the water.

2. In the meantime, combine mustard, soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp adobo sauce in a bowl. Once the tofu is dried, place on the baking sheet. Top with 1/2 of the mustard mixture; flip the tofu and cover with the second half. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

3. If you'd like a little mayo, combine mayo and remaining adobo sauce. Spread on 1/2 piece of toast. Add sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado, and green leaf lettuce. Season with S&P. Add the tofu. Enjoy!!


Love the beautiful colors...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not make tofu taste good, until now. Thanks! This was very very good