Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Rosemary & Sage Burgers with Chive Mayo and Apple Slaw

First of all, SO sorry for the lack of posting. As some of my Twitter followers and Facebook fans probably guessed, I moved out of the North End this past week (so sad). Moving day was especially hellish, as it was just me and Dish Mom for the most part (special shout out to Sebastian though who came home just in time to assist me after my meltdown of epic proportions after a random Italian guy wandering around yelled at me for parking on the sidewalk). I don't really care to count how many times I went up and down my four flights of rickety apartment stairs to load up the car...My thigh muscles/entire body the next morning would probably, if they had to, guess about 4 million trips.

Anyway, busy times at work + moving + mourning/celebrating the North End to the best of my ability (lots of late night trips to Bova's, testing out last minute restaurants, etc.) led to a general feeling of grossness. So when it came time to cook dinner this past Sunday, I looked up some recipes I had flagged from Self magazine. Surprisingly enough, one of them was a recipe for burgers! A hangover-friendly recipe that is also healthy!? Cha-ching! They turned out very moist and actually quite refreshing and light-tasting for a burger. I liked the moistness from the sour cream as a healthier alternative to cheese.


Plus, check out my new iPhone photos!!! I am very excited to utilize my new best friend, err, phone, to the best of my ability for blogging-purposes. The quality is pretty good, no??

Rosemary & Sage Burgers with Chive Mayo and Apple Slaw
Serves 4

Ingredients
Burgers
1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/2 pound lean ground pork (I omitted this and just used beef)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 whole-grain buns (I can never find whole grain hamburger buns. Thus, these are normal ones)
1 cup baby spinach leaves

Chive "mayo"

1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 dashes each salt and pepper

Apple slaw

3 green apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparations for burgers

Preheat grill to medium high. Combine beef, rosemary, sage, and salt in a medium-sized bowl; form into 4 patties. Grill patties 4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.

mmm, meat...
For chive "mayo"
In a small bowl, combine mayo ingredients.

For apple slaw
In a medium-sized bowl, combine slaw ingredients. (My apples turned brown really quickly. I'd probably up the lemon amount. I couldn't grate fast enough before they browned!)

To assemble
Toast the buns and spread each top with mayo. Place burger on bun and top with slaw and several spinach leaves.

Dish Mom made a side of roasted sweet potatoes (heaven) on the side:


Will be blogging a lot this weekend! Get ready...

No comments: