Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Mike & Patty's in the South End. Phenomenal.

Sure, going out to The Best Restaurant in the City is great, but every foodie knows that the biggest thrill comes from discovering that small, hole-in-the-wall place that knocks your socks off.

Such was the thrill I got when I finally got to try Mike & Patty's. Ever since seeing it featured on foodie website, Serious Eats, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. But everytime brunch rolled around, I stuck with my old favorite North Street Grille.

Finally, Dish Mom picked me up one sunny morning, and I suggested we try it. Best. Decision. Ever.

Remember how Dish Gal talked about how much I love sandwiches? While the sandwiches at Hot Tomatoes left a lot to be desired, Mike & Patty's takes sandwiches seriously-- as well one should!!

I tried one that, according to my research, they're sort of famous for: the torta-- shredded pork with avocado, refried beans, jicama slaw, and goat cheese on a luscious, bouncy, soft seeded roll.
This sandwich is NOT messing around...
The other sandwich we tried was the Bacon & Egg sandwich, fancy. The usual bacon & egg is topped with cheddar, avocado, and house mayo-- which has cayenne, cumin, and "secrets" (as the Serious Eats article cites).
Ohhhhh yeah. Toasted multigrain never had it so good.

In addition to these out-of-this-world sandwiches, the place itself just oozes charm. Located on a corner in Bay Village (like a mini-Beacon Hill but without the popped collars and Lilly Pullitzer), the restaurant is easy to pass by-- if you're even in the neighborhood in the first place. Plus, it is ridiculously tiny. And I don't mean Toro-tiny, I mean my-North-End-closet tiny. I couldn't even get in the door to order for a few minutes. Once inside, I was greeted with bacon-scented air and the lovely sound of sizzling food and clanging pans. A few lucky people sat at the lone, high-top table. Two people worked "the line," flipping eggs with the greatest of ease, smearing butter on bread, maneuvering adeptly in the tiny space. A third person took orders, fielded phone calls, and ran outside to deliver brown paper bags filled with joy.

Oh, and to top it all off, the coffee is great, too.

So, the only question is, why are you still reading this? Go git your sandwich on!


Mike & Patty's on Urbanspoon

No comments: