Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Banh Mi at Pho Viet at Super 88

Soooo after months of craving one, I finally managed to get a banh mi from Pho Viet's in the Super 88 in Allston. For those unfamiliar with this super-trendy, Vietnamese sandwich, here's the Wikipedia definition of a banh mi: The sandwich is made up of thinly sliced pickled carrots and daikon, onions, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapeño peppers and meat or tofu. Popular bánh mì fillings include roasted or grilled pork, Vietnamese ham, paté, mayonnaise, chicken, and head cheese. Most Banh Mi sandwiches contain a Vietnamese mayonnaise-like spread that is a mixture of egg yolk, cooking oil/butter, and sometimes spices.I went with the tofu option. I gotta say though, after all this yearning, I wasn't that obsessed with it! I mean it was definitely yummy, and at only around $3 an amazing deal, but I think I had classic "too high expectations" let-down =(

I think I need to try another one. I dunno, something tasted bizarre, and it wasn't spicy at all, while I had hoped for some kick.

Hrmph. On a day like today (miserable and rainy in Boston), doesn't a bowl of steaming hot pho sound good, though!?

Pho Viet's on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "mayonnaise-like spread" was mayonnaise. Just not the kind that comes out of the jar.

They also have hot sauce behind the counter. The sandwich isn't supposed to be spicy

And it tasted weird because you got tofu.