Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Grilled Fish Tacos w/ Avocado Cream & Slaw

Dish Gal was home in the 'burbs last night, and offered to make dinner for the rents. I was craving my favorite food combo: cilantro, avocado, and lime (I've realized in my cooking I just make different dishes with those three ingredients), and when I realized Dish Mom and Dad had never had fish tacos before, I knew I had to make them. I'm sad I didn't have my camera handy, because these were filled with gorgeous colors, from the red cabbage to the bright green avocado. Oh well, you'll just have to use your imagination ;)

Dish Gal's Fish Tacos
Serves 3

For the fish:
4 small (5 oz or so) tilapia filets
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil

For the avocado cream:
1 avocado, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 cup light sour cream

For the slaw:
1/4 of a head of red cabbage, shredded
1/4 of a head of green cabbage, shredded
2 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon nonfat, plain yogurt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

6 taco shells
lime wedges for garnish
1 cup cilantro leaves

1. In a small bowl, combine paprika, olive oil, and garlic. Place the tilapia filets in a large baking dish, and brush the olive oil mixture on them. Season with S&P. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 4 hours. (I did about 45 minutes.)

2. Combine the two types of cabbage and the green onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and the yogurt together. Add to the cabbage mixture; toss to dress. Season with
S&P and add about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (to taste). Cover and refrigerate.

3. In a small bowl using a hand mixer blend the avocado and the lime juice. Fold in sour cream. Set aside. Season with S&P.

4. Using a grill pan, heat the stove to moderate to high heat. Grill the tilapia filets 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Roughly chop them into smaller pieces.

5. To assemble the tacos: add a dollop of avocado cream, then the fish, then the coleslaw mixture, and then top with fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce on the side.

No comments: