Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...

Healthy Snacking

For me, the time my diet usually gets derailed is with dessert. I’m that person who orders a veggie-loaded salad with the dressing on the side…and a freshly baked cookie. What can I say? I eat what I love, and what I love are veggies and baked goods (not simultaneously, of course). Go figure.

For others though, snacks can be problematic. Vending machines and quick fix, fast-food type options are easy, but usually end up making you feel gross, not energized. I actually kind of enjoy the challenge of creating healthy and filling 200 calorie-and-under snacks for my post-lunch, pre-gym lull in the afternoon. I find preparation is key in this, as having lots of healthy options helps you avoid the vending machine run. Here are some of my favorites:

Today, for example, I’m enjoying some sliced bell peppers and jalapeno hummus. I like getting in some veggies or fruits in my snack, but I also like some protein, which the hummus is perfect for.

Edamame is another great option. For ½ a cup, you get 8g of protein for around 100 calories. Nice!

Some low-calorie, high fiber crackers with a wedge of laughing cow cheese is good, too. Fiber in the crackers keeps you full, while the cheese gives you some extra protein and calcium.

In the summer, I like to slice up some juicy tomatoes, sprinkle with a little sea salt, and scoop some cottage cheese on top.

For meat lovers, turkey pepperoni is a good one. For 17 of those bad boys, it’s still a measly 70 calories and 9 grams of protein! And with their strong taste I can usually only handle like 6 – 10 anyway.

I also like green apples with either a string cheese (added calcium and protein) or with a scoop of peanut butter. Celery with peanut butter is good, too. Or get the benefits of whole wheat bread like my friend at work, let’s call him Alec*, who keeps a loaf next to his desk, and spreads on some natural peanut butter.

Of course, like with the salad/cookie combo, a lot of the time I end up countering my healthy snack with some PBRs at Toro after work with Alec… Oh well, it’s the thought that counts, if you ask me! ;)

*Alec for Alec Baldwin; they share rugged good looks and a sharp wit.
PS Obviously none of these photos are taken by yours truly...so if anyone has any problems with my Google Image Search Results photo collection, let me know! =)

No comments: