Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Healthy Snacking

For me, the time my diet usually gets derailed is with dessert. I’m that person who orders a veggie-loaded salad with the dressing on the side…and a freshly baked cookie. What can I say? I eat what I love, and what I love are veggies and baked goods (not simultaneously, of course). Go figure.

For others though, snacks can be problematic. Vending machines and quick fix, fast-food type options are easy, but usually end up making you feel gross, not energized. I actually kind of enjoy the challenge of creating healthy and filling 200 calorie-and-under snacks for my post-lunch, pre-gym lull in the afternoon. I find preparation is key in this, as having lots of healthy options helps you avoid the vending machine run. Here are some of my favorites:

Today, for example, I’m enjoying some sliced bell peppers and jalapeno hummus. I like getting in some veggies or fruits in my snack, but I also like some protein, which the hummus is perfect for.

Edamame is another great option. For ½ a cup, you get 8g of protein for around 100 calories. Nice!

Some low-calorie, high fiber crackers with a wedge of laughing cow cheese is good, too. Fiber in the crackers keeps you full, while the cheese gives you some extra protein and calcium.

In the summer, I like to slice up some juicy tomatoes, sprinkle with a little sea salt, and scoop some cottage cheese on top.

For meat lovers, turkey pepperoni is a good one. For 17 of those bad boys, it’s still a measly 70 calories and 9 grams of protein! And with their strong taste I can usually only handle like 6 – 10 anyway.

I also like green apples with either a string cheese (added calcium and protein) or with a scoop of peanut butter. Celery with peanut butter is good, too. Or get the benefits of whole wheat bread like my friend at work, let’s call him Alec*, who keeps a loaf next to his desk, and spreads on some natural peanut butter.

Of course, like with the salad/cookie combo, a lot of the time I end up countering my healthy snack with some PBRs at Toro after work with Alec… Oh well, it’s the thought that counts, if you ask me! ;)

*Alec for Alec Baldwin; they share rugged good looks and a sharp wit.
PS Obviously none of these photos are taken by yours truly...so if anyone has any problems with my Google Image Search Results photo collection, let me know! =)

1 comment:

Benny said...

After thousands of dollars and years of almost no results I stumbled on a product that cheap brazilian hair bundles and it has just become available in the United States. The virgin brazilian hair uk straightening has revolutionized the entire game by using keratin as the major ingredient. Brazilian hair straightening uses cheap brazilian hair bundles which does not penetrate through the cortex and avoids breakage of natural hair bonds. Keratin on the other hand becomes the catalyst to moisturize and strengthen each individual brazilian hair bundles. Brazilian hair treatments works well on all types of human hair extensions whether they are color treated, processed or damaged from other hair care products. Best of all this product lasts up to three months with a single treatment. It provided me hair I had only ever dreamt about by giving me healthy and human hair weave bundles with extra volume and incredible shine.