Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Trattoria di Monica in the North End

Ann's arrival in the North End occurred around the same time as the snow's. I had made big plans for our Boston weekend together though, and a little (okay, a lot) of snow wasn't going to slow us down! Luckily, living in the North End means you are only steps from cozy restaurants. So I decided to take a gamble on a new spot, Trattoria di Monica. I was sure other North End-ers would be out and about, too. So we even made a reservation.

When we walked in to the restaurant, I realized the reservation was not only unnecessary, it was silly. There was only one other couple in the whole place! I was blown away-- a North End restaurant, on a Friday, at 8:00 p.m., pretty much empty. This snow really was a more intense force than I thought. . .

The restaurant has great decor-- chic, but still has that cozyness of the North End.
Ann started off with some bubbly prosecco; I opted to warm up with a glass of chianti. We both shared a special appetizer for the evening-- a bruschetta with burrata mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. Trattoria di Monica has a sister store that sells meats and cheeses across the street (Monica's)-- Z and I used their delicious mozzarella for our butternut squash lasagna-- so I had a good feeling about this appetizer.

And boy was my inkling correct. What a decadent starter! Creamy, sweet mozzarella like I've never tasted before. Like clouds from heaven.
The cold and snowy night inspired hearty dishes for our entree choices. I went with the handmade spinach and ricotta gnocchi with a pork ragu ($18) while Ann went with veal stuffed with cheese, wrapped in proscuitto over fettucine ($24). Here's my dish:Both were excellent, and perfect for such a night. Another plus for this restaurant? Very few entrees are more than $20. Which is a lot to say in the North End!

I know where my new "go-to" North End spot will be from now on!


Monica's Trattoria on Urbanspoon

No comments: