Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Take Out Madness

Things have been a bit crazy in Dish Gal's world lately. I was out of Boston this past weekend at a wedding in Philly, and returned very late Sunday night. Then, I've had an event for work every single night this week. Thus, I have not had the time (or energy) to cook or grocery shop at all... which led to The Week of Take-Out Food... Hopefully you can learn a thing or two from my mistakes (and my good choices).

Monday night I left the event and trekked home, feeling fairly confident that I'd be able to pull something together from my pantry. I was wrong. I ended up making some Easy-Mac, which, note to self, is only good at 3 a.m. post-a night of fun; perhaps the lack of clear thinking makes me forget that I'm eating something that turns powder into cheese.

Tuesday night I stopped at Taipei Tokyo in Davis after event #2. I got one single sushi roll (spicy tuna) and had them add tempura flakes (at the suggestion of "Penelope", Sebastian's friend/TV & movie star/sushi enthusiast). Taipei Tokyo is a stop I often make in Davis--not as much because of the quality of the food, but more because of its proximity to the T stop. I've never had a bad meal there, but never had a great one either... I took it home and ate it on my bed (even though OmGal calls that bad feng shui-- I call it comfortable) but sadly spilled soy sauce on my sheets (ugh! should have known better).

Wednesday night's late night event left me famished (and anxious to get back for the Top Chef finale-- otherwise known as the most ridiculous judges' panel of all time). Skylar brilliantly suggested getting Wagamama, and I devoured my ginger chicken udon, thick, slippery noodles with fragrant ginger and garnished with pickled red ginger. However, my "favorite dish award" for my crew had to have been "Jamie's" ("Jamie" is making her Dish This debut!) chilli beef ramen, a spicy soup with cilantro, fresh chillies, and lime.

Thursday night, after nearly falling asleep on the red line, I stumbled off at Davis around 9 pm and wandered over to Diesel Cafe. Part cafe/part pool hall/part late night hang out, I love how Diesel doesn't really make sense except if you've experienced it. Sebastian is probably more of a fan than I am (I'm a die-hard Dave's Fresh Pasta girl when it comes to sandwiches) but sadly Dave's stops making sandwiches at the wee-hour of 7 pm. So to Diesel I went, where tired-me (I know, call the waambulance) felt very welcomed by the convivial and unpretentious employees, who didn't even balk when I tried to change around the sandwich a bit. I got the "monkey wrench" which is (usually) a baguette with turkey, avocado, havarti dill spread, tomato, and sprouts. I nixed the dill spread and changed the bread to wheat (trying to pretend to be healthy). It was very satisfying and was a nice late-night meal (not too heavy, but satisfying).

Anyway, thank GOD this week is over. Looking back, I've definitely learned some lessons from it all :

1) Easy-mac should only be eaten when inebriated...
2) Soy sauce should be kept far away from the bed or even a sofa...
3) Wagamama is always a good call...
4) Dave's Fresh Pasta should make sandwiches 24 hours.

No comments: