Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



California Dreaming..

I'm usually not a big fan of when bloggers recount their travels; ultimately, unless I'm planning on visiting the place soon, I don't want to read about all the places I'm NOT travelling. And then I get stressed, and surf fodors.com for awhile, brainstorming ways I could scrounge up the cash to visit Buenos Aires or Thailand.

In any case, I had such yummy food in California that I'm going to be a total hypocrite and share. Plus, Virgin America is doing some crazy sales these days! So maybe this will motivate you? ;)

My first morning in Santa Barbara, Ann and I headed to Shoreline, and enjoyed some breakfast burritos loaded with avocado. The best part about Shoreline? The tables are all directly on the beach, so as you eat you can wiggle your toes in the sand. Heaven.

Ann peruses the menu...
At night, we headed to chic sushi spot, Arigato, right on State Street, the main drag of Santa Barbara. It was a little pricey, but we did manage to try the magic mushroom maki stuffed with shittake, crimini, maitake, asparagus, and truffle oil, and the kobe beef sashimi. My favorite though was the fiesta maki, with tempura halibut, tomato, avocado, cilantro, and habanero sauce (top photo). Afterwards, we got Pinkberry!! I've been wanting to try this popular frozen yogurt chain for so long now, and it was everything I wanted and more. The fresh fruit, the tart yogurt, the inventive and playful mix-ins (I got cocoa crispies)-- looove it.In San Diego, we finally got to try the one, the only, In n Out burger. FINALLY!! We got our fries "animal style" (onions, cheese, and special sauce) and our burgers just regular. I immediately regretted not getting a double-double (what was I thinking!?) but it was amazing nonetheless. Though I think I still give the best burger crown to the #12 at Johnny Rocket's (am I alone here?). And, as others have said in the past, I wasn't the hugest fan of the fries here, even animal style.The next day we parked ourselves on the beach all day long, enjoying the San Diego sun (and wind) and flying kites. After the long day, we stopped at this Mexican place Roberto's, located right next to the beach. It was dirt cheap, but seemed awesomely authentic, and we loaded up our plates with baja fish tacos, enchiladas, Mexican rice, and refried beans. YUM.

Part II of California round-up to come... including Zaytoon, a Santa Barbara Middle Eastern restaurant with fire pits at each table where Ann's roommate made a love connection with our waiter, and Porto's, amazing Cuban food in Los Angeles.

1 comment:

Karen said...

oooooh In N Out...how I miss thee. I lived in West LA for 7 years and loved every minute of it. Don't know the Cuban place that you mention; we used to go to Versailles for Cuban food.