Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Puerto Rico, Part II

I can't write about Puerto Rican food without mentioning my experience at the Zain-recommended Luquillo Beach kiosks. . .

After trekking through El Yunque, the only rainforest in the US, Z and I drove to nearby Luquillo Beach to the famous kiosks. I expected them to look like the food carts in New York City, but instead they were a row of grungy looking "restaurants" with only 2 walls-- the front open to customers, the back open to face the beach. Each kiosk offered the same selection of food-- so similar that it made me wonder how they all stayed in business? Some of them were closed, some were open, and while their business model baffled me, the smell of the fried food and sound of the Caribbean music squelched any disbelief or cynicism that briefly flickered through my mind.

Z ordered for us (and by ordered I mean pointed at stuff) and got us quite the sampler. I have to admit I didn’t know half of what I was eating, but with everything deep-fried it wasn't a big leap of faith that it would all taste good. Got some more rice and beans (told you, it’s everywhere…), more mashed plantains, and –the most bizarre of all—deep fried mashed potatoes stuffed with meat. Yes that’s right, potatoes+fried+meat-- so basically it was really healthy...















We washed it all down with two ice-cold coronas, then wandered over to the beach. A truly blissful afternoon.

No comments: