Dish Gal's guide to getting the most out of life, one meal at a time...



Mini-review: Vlora on Boylston St.

When I was between not sick and sick (I'm sure you know that stage well), Skylar and I visited Vlora on Boylston Street after leaving a party at nearby Bar 10 in the Westin.

(FYI: I'm calling this a "mini-review" because I did not really get to try that much of the menu and don't feel like I can really "review" it.)

The restaurant is described as embracing "Mediterranean cuisine", but I would say in this case, that was a nice way of saying, "We couldn't decide on which country's food to cook, so we picked all of them." The menu, while appealing, was kind of all over the place.

We decided to split a few things from the appetizer side. We started with the trio of pies ($7.50) which did not seem to turn out to be three different pies as we had thought, but rather three pies. It was delicious nonetheless, as I'm a huge fan of spanakopita. The filo dough was light and had a lovely crunch to it, and lacked any greasyness. And alongside it was served a yummy yogurt and onion dipping sauce.

We also tried the watermelon and feta ($5.95) tidbit, which was actually one of the main reasons I wanted to try this restaurant. I had seen it on their menu on their website and was very intrigued; what an unusual combination! But it actually was nice, and struck me as a particularly easy and breezy appetizer in the summer months. (Mmm, just pictured summer...)

Finally, we tried the goat cheese polenta, which I thought was tasty (very creamy) but my dining companion thought was a bit bland. It was a good idea that maybe needed a bit more innovation/thought to make it really have that "wow" factor.

The restaurant was pretty much awkwardly empty when we went (at around 8:30 pm on a Wednesday) which is probably not the best indicator of this restaurant's success. (Do have to mention though that it is very well hidden, with poor signage and shoved underneath a GNC). The decor was kind of strange, with a ceiling that resembled a planetarium in an elementary school.

If the restaurant had more of an intimate atmosphere and more of a neighborhood feel as opposed to a fine dining and impersonal feel, I think I would be more apt to come back and sit at the bar and nibble on their "tid bits." Instead, I think this is a restaurant that had a bit of an identity crisis mid-way through its conception. Yummy, but a bit scattered, and lacking that certain je ne sais quoi...

No comments: